Tuesday, May 19, 2009

10 Worst Cities to Visit/10 Best Cities to Visit

10 Worst Cities to Visit/10 Best Cities to Visit
by Willy Volk
Of course, no one wants to waste their time and money traveling to a crummy destination. In an effort to help you steer clear of those crummy destinations, Road Junky put together a list of what they consider to be the 10 worst cities in the world to visit. In no particular order, they are:

Mumbai
Dubai
Liverpool & Manchester
Any American Suburb
Guatemala City
Sao Paulo
Beijing
Singapore
Milan
Cancun
Weird. I always wanted to visit Bombay (or Mumbai, as it's now called). And Ember seems to be having a great time in Beijing, so I guess the list is colored by Road Junky's perceptions -- which is, of course, totally acceptable. Personally, I hope I never make it back to Harare. Or Bulawayo. So depressing.

Rather than simply mention the dregs and not point out the shining stars of world travel, here's Travel + Leisure's list of what they consider to be the 10 best cities in the world to visit. In no particular order, they are:


Florence
Rome
Bangkok
Sydney
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Cape Town
Buenos Aires
New York
Beirut*
San Francisco
I've spent several weeks in Cape Town, and if I could retire this weekend, I'd move there and start a weekly "What's Going On About Town" newspaper. I love that place. In my opinion, other great cities to travel to include Amsterdam (easy to navigate); Cairo (Culture! History!); and Key West (F-U-N).

Nevertheless, if you think T+L's list stinks, check out Cool Town Studios for their regional run-down of the world's best cities to visit or peep National Geographic Traveler's Top Urban Places.
http://www.gadling.com

No comments: